Even More Stuff!
15 May 1996
Assorted Elboids at Cafe Liberty
- Diane Reamy and Jay Demarrais prove (like we needed confirmation)
that there's a thin line between
cute and stomach-wrenching.
- "Radioactive" Rich Macchi attempts to dodget the Dreaded Kung-Fu
Finger of Doom.
- Nick "Phi" Schectman flashes back to Open
Parlour Night, but soon realizes that it's all just a bad memory --
there's no bad chinese food here.
- From left, Christine Parker and Rich are amused, and Chip is
- Joanne and Andy carefully watch
the carpet for signs of life.
- J.B. Sweeney attempts vainly not
to be seen in public with Ofer Inbar.
- Rachel Kadel and Tara Powers give
More of my Cats.
Sure it's self-indulgent.
Am I forcing you to download them?
- The gruesome twosome have a hard time "just saying
Topper's Graditation Party @ The Ranch
- Asked what she's going to do now that she's out of grad
school, Rachel has just one word:
- The unknown guitarist provided
musical accompaniment. (News flash - his name is Walter
Stickle, lead guitarist for Fracture. Yours for a
- Barbie hangs out over the mob
in the kitchen.
- Kelly Cooper plots dire
vengence against the universe.
- Gilly Rosenthol and Scott Shorter sit on the steps and get all
stairry-eyed about it.
- Wex flexes!
- Rachel joins the Hair Club for
Women and gets a free backrub as a joining bonus. (She's
not just a member...)
- Mark Amidon is obscured
by a man who may or may not have been Judge Crater
Around and about, March-April
- From left, my flatmate Kriss, Andy Kaufman (not, not that one),
and the lovely Joanne Handwerger are
bedazzled by the light from
- Derek Lichter gets crazee wit da
- Andy tries to duck behind
- Joellllllll ("not a typo") Herda tries to make his
- Nico Garcia tries to keep his lovely fiance Rachel's
head from exploding.
- Our Hero (er, that's me) administers the little-used, mystical
and rare reverse heimlich
manuver to an unwitting victim.
- The inevitable pile up
on Derek's couch. (From left, Tara Swinarski, myself, Tara
Powers, Joellllll and Kriss.)
- Sometimes life is so exciting you just gotta
do the rhumba.
- J.B. Sweeney sacks out
at Cafe Liberty, while Joelllll skulks in the foreground.
- Crash screams, "At last, my arm
is complete again!" Andy is unimpressed.
- Miranda shows off.
San Francisco, Feb '96
- "How Much is that Lesbian in the
Window?" -- I managed to track down my old
schoolmate and friend (and both terms seem woefully
inadequate) Rane Halloran
(that's prounounced rainy) in Oakland.
- We went hiking around the Marin Headlands,
which are just indescribably beautiful.
- A friend of Rane's joined us.
- It wasn't until I got there that I understood the real reason
why people emigrate en masse to the Bay Area. It's not
the culture, the cuisine or the people -- you can get those
in New York, after all. It's the mountains.
- Rane "her middle name is 'trouble'"
Halloran stands on a rock and says "come on! There's nothing to
be afraid of!"
- That same rock, approximately
ten minutes later. Let it be noted that, big though it is, the
Pacific Ocean can move damn fast when it wants to.
- I swear to god this really happened: Rane and I were walking
around downtown San Francisco, talking about how computers and
networks had gone from specialist/hobbyist toys to all-pervasive
things, and talking about what it had used to be like, and the
idea of planned obselescence, when I happened to notice this
- ...which, I am not making this up, contained a very
abused-looking Commodore VIC-20.
I'm certain this was a sign of something, but I'll be damned
if I know what...
- Downtown, we had some of the best
chocolate I've ever had in my life.
- ...and we ate it in a cute little diner across the street from
the Castro Theater.
London, March '96
Random photos from the British Museum:
- The Museum itself.
- The museum is guarded by a
large population of stray cats. Here, one keeps close watch
over what appears to be a Citroen. The minds of cats are truly
- A very cool scupture on the museum's
- Chariots of the gods. Egyptian
- There's more of the Parthenon
to be found in the British Museum than in Greece. Kinda
- Obligatory picture of the
Also in London, I found the best sign in
the whole universe. This sums up the British more than just about
anything else I can think of.
While in London, Miranda and I met up with the infamous
Shimrit Elisar and celebrated
the occasion of her turning 21...
- Shimrit expressess how happy
she is to be 21.
- Peter plays with Shimrit's hair, while Shimrit plays with her
balls. The man in front
of both of them is not Chris Cornell of Soundgarden.
- Many flashy people were
- One cool chap sadly left early.
- There's one of these at every
party, it seems. Don't ask me why, it's just like that.
- Jim loses it. "It" may be his contact
lenses. Or maybe not.
- Shimrit attempts to pelt
your humble chronicler with unspeakably nasty british candies.
(She missed. Nyaaaah!)
- Miranda gets into the spirit
of things. (Beware: all of the photos of Miranda in this
section are pretty awful. See below for some
- A young woman who's name I have unconscionably forgotten graciously
lets me take her photo.
(Addendum: Her name is Lucy.)
- Despite his sneaky grin, this
young man has absolutely no idea what he's getting himself into.
- Shimrit attempts to look innocent
about the whole matter, and fails miserably.
- Shimrit take a really crap
polaroid of me...
- ...but quickly realizes the
magnitude of her error.
- Shimrit's roomate gives us some
- Nathan (that's me) gets
dancing lessons from a highly dodgy character.
- Miranda, Steve and I get down
with our bad selves.
- Group hug time...
- An unfortunately somewhat fuzzy photo (but appropriate, since I was
feeling more than a little fuzzy myself at the time) of me demonstrating
why my web page is called
Grinning Maniacs, Unlimited.
- Jim relaxes, safe in the
knowledge that even if he is wasted, it's not like the
whole world is going to see pictures of it, right?
- Miranda trances out.
- Shimrit wonders aloud how the
hell she's going to get all of these people out of her flat.
- Another victim of the dreaded
Munchie Death Spiral. Kids, don't let this happen to you. Just
say "no" after the tenth piece...
- The music works its evil spell on two
- Jim claims that he's regained
- ...but Shimrit is dubious.
- Shimrit relaxes in the arms of...
Boris Karloff!!! Aieeeeeeeeee!!!
- The bitter end is reached.
BBN Planet Holiday Party, Jan '96
- Jarvis (playing "boyfriend
in tow" at the time) checks out
- Jarvis and Nathan look
amused and smarmy, in that order.
- We dance our socks off.
- Three Planeteers and a
fiance. (From left, Michael Bauer, Eri Izawa, Jeremy
Behrle and the future dread Mrs. Behrle.)
More to come...